[tor-talk] using themes in Aurora

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Thu Oct 13 17:36:38 UTC 2011

Using addons, plugins, etc. of ALL sorts is a touchy subject regarding
Tor & anonymity.  I'm wondering about use of Firefox themes & addons
like Tab Mix Plus?  Any thoughts on the topic?

I give the native theme in Aurora / Firefox (7) low marks for usability,
including overall tabs functions / features - (nothing to do w/ Tor
developers).  It's difficult going back & forth from Aurora to Firefox
once I am used to a theme in vanilla FF providing better usability &
visibility - esp. if you don't have 25 yr old eyes.

AFAIK, themes & addons that simply change the GUI & don't send / receive
any info or contact sites, aren't a threat to Tor's anonymity?  Tor
controls to allow / don't allow updates, anyway.

So, I'm guessing themes / addons that don't "phone home" aren't a
problem w/ Tor, but need to verify this.  Thanks.