[tor-talk] notice - newer ver available just after install latest TBB

Mike Perry mikeperry at fscked.org
Thu Oct 13 17:35:38 UTC 2011

Thus spake Marco Bonetti (sid77 at slackware.it):

> I did some quick tests with TBB on Linux, versions 0.2.33-2 and 0.2.33-3.
> In both cases I get these results:
> 1) https://check.torproject.org/ - no warning
> 2) https://check.torproject.org/?lang=en-US&small=1 - warning

Yes, we made this page warn because all TBBs fetching it without
adding uptodate=1 were assumed to be the old, vulnerable versions.

In hindsight, what we should have done was also create a small=2 page
with no warning, for use as the default in new TBBs when the versions
file is inaccessible. I didn't expect this case to happen, but I also
didn't expect deployment of #4222 to span 24 hours..