[tor-talk] Tor hidden services and SSL certificates

Mike Cardwell tor at lists.grepular.com
Tue Oct 11 13:20:29 UTC 2011

On 11/10/11 14:05, alex mayer wrote:

> I'm working on a project that involves a secure installation of a
> web blog and a Jabber messenger service through Tor Hidden services.
>
> I'm aware of SSL man in the middle attacks by rogue tor relay servers,
> how to protect login credential of the administrators and users while
> accessing the services? which is correct mitigation approach?
>
> No SSL enabled?
>
> Self generated SSL certificates?
>
> Other form of confidentiality and integrity protection?

Hidden services are already encrypted end to end. They don't have the
MITM problems that using Tor to access Internet services has; there are
no Exit Nodes are involved. So there's no real point in adding a layer
of SSL on top.

--
Mike Cardwell https://grepular.com/  https://twitter.com/mickeyc
Professional  http://cardwellit.com/ http://linkedin.com/in/mikecardwell