[tor-talk] WSJ- Google- Sonic Mr. Applebaum

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Tue Oct 11 12:33:21 UTC 2011

On 2011-10-11 13:18 , Moritz Bartl wrote:
>>> Use your own servers at the co-lo. Use TPM and tamper-proof systems.
>> Does not matter, given enough power/money/force your adversary can walk
>> into that colo and use vampire taps to replug (both power and network)
>> your box without you noticing anything and monitor the rest from there on.
>
> If the box is at a place under your control, you will at least know.
> Replugging can be noticed (packet drops, changes in voltage) and the
> system can be shut down/wiped.

Google for Vampire Taps. You won't notice a thing unless you have very
very sensitive voltage etc measurements happening.

> BTW, I want to set up a scalable mail server like that, so if anyone has
> useful input, please let me know.

Like everything else (eg how many locks you have on your house), it all
depends completely who your adversary is and how much protection you
require against it. In the end it will come down to a delay for the
adversary and annoyance on your part with the problem that if the
adversary wants your information hard enough they will 'nicely' ask.

Greets,
 Jeroen