[tor-talk] Best Tool to connect to my Private TOR Network

Faisal Rehman faisal.rehman22 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 7 10:37:17 UTC 2011

Hi Andrew,

Let me explain you in a bit detail, I have followed that link https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorFAQ#HowdoIsetupmyownprivateTornetwork & I have successfully set up following all the steps given in that link & it is running as you can see from the below output:

[root at gn-directory tornode1]# tor -f faisal.torrc
Sep 20 12:38:37.838 [notice] Tor v0.2.2.32 (git-877e17749725ab88). This is experimental software. Do not rely on it for strong anonymity. (Running on Linux i686)
Sep 20 12:38:37.841 [warn] You have used DirServer or AlternateDirAuthority to specify alternate directory authorities in your configuration. This is potentially dangerous: it can make you look different from all other Tor users, and hurt your anonymity. Even if you've specified the same authorities as Tor uses by default, the defaults could change in the future. Be sure you know what you're doing.
Sep 20 12:38:37.841 [warn] TestingTorNetwork is set. This will make your node almost unusable in the public Tor network, and is therefore only advised if you are building a testing Tor network!
Sep 20 12:38:37.842 [notice] Initialized libevent version 2.0.10-stable using method epoll. Good.
Sep 20 12:38:37.843 [notice] Opening OR listener on 0.0.0.0:5000
Sep 20 12:38:37.843 [notice] Opening Directory listener on 0.0.0.0:9030
Sep 20 12:38:37.843 [notice] Opening Socks listener on 127.0.0.1:9050
Sep 20 12:38:37.843 [warn] Fixing permissions on directory .
Sep 20 12:38:37.850 [warn] Fixing permissions on directory ./keys
Sep 20 12:38:37.888 [notice] OpenSSL OpenSSL 0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 01 Jul 2008 [90802f] looks like it's older than 0.9.8l, but some vendors have backported 0.9.8l's renegotiation code to earlier versions, and some have backported the code from 0.9.8m or 0.9.8n.  I'll set both SSL3_FLAGS and SSL_OP just to be safe.
Sep 20 12:38:37.952 [warn] Tried to add a mapping for reserved nickname Unnamed
Sep 20 12:38:37.953 [notice] Your Tor server's identity key fingerprint is 'UnnamedC3F7E599BF2551FCAA196C6FF9452C72DA8335F7'

Now it is running as my own Directory Authority & I have not configured any tor relay for this directory authority & also tor client. Yeah you also got my problem which is how can I configure a tor client that can talk to my own private directory authority, because simply firing up vidalia connects with the Public TOR network which isn't my requirement.

So I hope you got my point, any help would be highly appreciated!!!

Warmest Regards,

Faisal Rehman