[tor-talk] Getting of Tor Browser

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 4 03:46:08 UTC 2011

On 10/3/2011 12:39 PM, unknown wrote:
> We talk about it day ago on some web-resource. Possible with you personally :-)
>
> Linux provided system Tor-daemon seems more secure then tor started from user.
>
> I propose next steps but concern about any "Gotcha!" here:
>
> 1) Download, check gnupg signatures and unpack tor-browser.
>
> Keep system Tor-daemon from deb-package http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org with carefully settings including your transparent firewalling.
>
> 2) Activate plug-ins (HTTPS-Everywhere, NoScipt, TorButton) with copying:
>
> cp -r ../tor-browser_en-US/Data/profile/extensions/* ../tor-browser_en-US/App/Firefox/extensions
>
> (or use symlinks).
>
> 3) Don't run Bundle start script, ignore vidalia and tor from bundle.
>
> Run '../tor-browser_en-US/App/Firefox/firefox' directly. Check that plugins is working and you use system tor correctly without leaking information (Use Torstatus check sites, local sniffers).
>
> 4) Don't use vidalia. Use 'sudo killall -SIGHUP tor' instead of vidalia newnym control-port command. And restart your tor-browser after that newnym.
>
> Any comments?

In the Windows download section there is a variation called Vidalia
Bundle which allegedly sets up an environment within which the standard
Windows version of Firefox is expected to behave nicely.  As a Windows
user, this is what I use.

I notice, however, that there is no comparable package for Linux,
although there is a link to another page
<https://www.torproject.org/download/download-unix.html.en> which I
suppose means something to Unix users.

I believe that the main difference between the version of Firefox in the
Tor Browser Bundle and the version that most people use is that that
version is 'portable' in the sense that it does not need to be
'installed' to run.  I think that same 'portable' version of Firefox is
also available directly from Mozilla if you know where to find it.  Does
someone know whether it is available from Mozilla in a Linux version?

If so, then perhaps for your particular case the version found in the
Tor Browser Bundle is not needed.

David Carlson