[tor-talk] Getting of Tor Browser

unknown unknown at pgpru.com
Mon Oct 3 17:39:46 UTC 2011

We talk about it day ago on some web-resource. Possible with you personally :-)

Linux provided system Tor-daemon seems more secure then tor started from user.

I propose next steps but concern about any "Gotcha!" here:

1) Download, check gnupg signatures and unpack tor-browser.

Keep system Tor-daemon from deb-package http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org with carefully settings including your transparent firewalling.

2) Activate plug-ins (HTTPS-Everywhere, NoScipt, TorButton) with copying:

cp -r ../tor-browser_en-US/Data/profile/extensions/* ../tor-browser_en-US/App/Firefox/extensions

(or use symlinks).

3) Don't run Bundle start script, ignore vidalia and tor from bundle.

Run '../tor-browser_en-US/App/Firefox/firefox' directly. Check that plugins is working and you use system tor correctly without leaking information (Use Torstatus check sites, local sniffers).

4) Don't use vidalia. Use 'sudo killall -SIGHUP tor' instead of vidalia newnym control-port command. And restart your tor-browser after that newnym.

Any comments?