[tor-talk] Tor no longer works with win2K ??

Anon Mus my.green.lantern at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 12 11:52:15 UTC 2011

Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
> On 11/10/2011 02:39 AM, Anon Mus wrote:
>
>> I got a message to upgrade my Tor version..
>>
>> Nov 10 10:20:45.953 [Warning] Please upgrade! This version of Tor
>> (0.2.1.30) is obsolete, according to the directory authorities.
>> Recommended versions are: 0.2.1.31,0.2.2.34,0.2.3.6-alpha,0.2.3.7-alpha
>>
>> But (as before) the latest versions of the expert install do not work.
>>

>> Here's the stable..
>>
>> Nov 10 10:17:10.093 [Notice] Tor v0.2.2.34 (git-c4eae752f0d157ce). This
>> is experimental software. Do not rely on it for strong anonymity.
>> (Running on Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 [workstation])
>>

> Just as a general warning, I suspect the Random Number Generator on
> Windows 2000 is not so great. I would seriously consider installing a
> recent Operating system or booting a tails live CD.
>
> All the best,
> Jacob

As I understand it the random number generator in win2k is the same as
the one in WinNT, Win2003, WinXP and Windows Vista.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/13/windows_random_number_gen_flawed/
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9048438/Microsoft_confirms_that_XP_contains_random_number_generator_bug
http://www.segobit.com/rng.htm

Does this mean support for these Windows OSes is also to be withdrawn?

Perhaps you can ensure a full explanation is placed a warning on the
Torproject web site otherwise lots of users will be using Windows
operating systems which are vulnerable.

I would have thought a responsible Tor project leadership would have
seen to this already! But not a word, WHY?

Obviously my questions are still NOT being answered, I QUOTE,

"
Nov 10 10:17:10.093 [Error] Error from libevent: event.c:1413: Assertion
base failed in event_base_get_method

So this is still a problem, the libvent event failure c:1413.

So is Tor supporting win2k still or not and is there a fix or work
around to this problem?"

Can I get a reply from someone on the tor dev team about this ERROR and
whether Win2k is being supported now or not? "

I re-iterate, can I get a reply from someone on the tor dev team about
this ERROR and whether Win2k is being supported now or not?

Why no replies to genuine and relevant questions? The silence makes the
Tor dev team appear to have something to hide.

Jo