[tor-talk] Don't use Google as default search in Tor Browser?

Julian Yon julian at yon.org.uk
Sun Nov 6 20:05:04 UTC 2011

On 06/11/11 19:38, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
> About all I can advise is, read Google's (lack of) privacy policy.
> If you like it, use them.  If you'd rather not have your search terms
> recorded & also used for targeted advertising, then use another
> search engine that doesn't use those practices.

Google's tracking is of limited concern if you don't log in, and don't
keep a long running browser session open. It takes less time to
establish a Tor circuit over broadband than it used to take to connect
by modem. Shut down TBB when not in use and you should be fine. I'm not
saying there's no risk at all, but there's no reason why somebody who
understands the risks shouldn't be able to use Google carefully.

Personally I use DDG, partly because of privacy concerns and partly
because I don't like the new-look Google. You can always do a Google
search through DDG or Scroogle if you're feeling paranoid.

On topic, I'd prefer DDG or Ixquick as the default search in TBB but we
can't all have our preferences included.

Julian

--
3072D/D2DE707D Julian Yon (2011 General Use) <pgp.2011 at jry.me>