[tor-talk] Don't use Google as default search in Tor Browser?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Fri Nov 4 17:01:10 UTC 2011

On 11/4/2011 9:54 AM, Christian Siefkes wrote:
> On 11/04/2011 03:43 PM, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
>> A lot of effort is put into helping Tor / TBB users avoid compromising
>> anonymity by using Google searches.  Yet, the Google search engine is left
>> in Aurora.  It's a pretty simple question - why?
> How should using Google as search engine comprise your anonymity? Either
> you're anonymous, then you're anonymous on Google too. Or you aren't
> anonymous, then avoiding Google won't help you.
Christian, I'm not sure I understand your viewpoint, but... Assuming you
mean (& / or for others' benefit), simply installing Tor or using Tor
Browser gives complete anonymity, it in no way guarantees or even
promises complete anonymity.  Tor Project is very clear about this.
Here's * one * page to start users to understand what's involved.  Maybe
you already knew this.
https://www.torproject.org/download/download.html.en#Warning

But, no - there are many ways to * possibly * compromise anonymity while
using Tor.  Google searches are ONLY one, because they record search
terms & * any * possible info they can possibly squeeze out of your
browser.  If Google searches, when using Tor, weren't ANY kind of
anonymity threat, the developers wouldn't have gone to substantial
trouble to offer users a way to avoid them, when encountered.

Google search engine records all search terms & ANY other possible info
about your browser, etc., they can possibly squeeze out.  At the VERY
least, some wouldn't want recorded their search terms & certainly not
the pages they visit after the search, whether using Tor or not.  This
is especially true if living in a repressive country.

Why can't Tor be a complete solution to all anonymity problems?  Because
it's impossible for ANY one or entity to idiot proof anything, 100%.  No
matter what you're dealing w/, or how safe it's been made, someone will
always find a way to shoot themselves in the foot.