[tor-talk] Don't use Google as default search in Tor Browser?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Fri Nov 4 14:43:32 UTC 2011

On 11/3/2011 3:53 AM, Advrk Aplmrkt wrote:
> On 2 November 2011 20:17, Julian Yon<julian at yon.org.uk>  wrote:
>
>> As the GPL is one of the license options, there is no way that any
>> contract or agreement between Google and Mozilla could possibly be
>> binding on a third party. Mozilla do impose restrictions on use of their
>> trademarks but as TBB uses the "Aurora" non-branding that isn't an issue.
>>
>> Julian
> I am inclined to consider the lack of privacy friendly default search
> engines in TBB as a bug. Yes removing Google as the default should be
> a trivial change.
> Could any of the developers comment on this? Thanks.
Thanks Julian,
That may  be true.   Still leaves Advrk's question why Google search is
left in Aurora.  My earlier posings are still unanswered (I certainly
don't know the answers).
A lot of effort is put into helping Tor / TBB users avoid compromising
anonymity by using Google searches.  Yet, the Google search engine is
left in Aurora.  It's a pretty simple question - why?

No developers have commented - could be busy now.  They do often comment
on issues that possibly don't have as much impact on anonymity as this
topic.

If no one w/ * real * knowledge, comments on the reason(s) - (meaning,
not just someone w/ a good theory) - then some would say, "you have your
answer."  Google search engine is BIG business and big $.