[tor-talk] The Stop Online Piracy Act

Jim Jimmymac at copper.net
Thu Nov 3 06:49:09 UTC 2011

Andrew Lewman wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 01, 2011 00:11:49 Jim wrote:
>> I haven't seen this brought up on this list yet, so I thought I would
>> mention it.  Tech Dirt (among others) are reporting on yet another round
>> of misguided (U.S.) legislation supposedly targeting copyright
>> infringement.  Part of this legislation involves attempting to prevent
>> DNS from resolving "offensive" domain names.
>
> [snip]
>
> Generally, Tor works on technology. Technology may always be able to
> circumvent policy, but if something is made illegal, then only criminals
> benefit. We'd rather spend our money on making Tor better for all of the
> positive uses of it, not fighting lawsuits and waging policy battles. However,
> sometimes we have to speak up and help those that do engage in lawsuits and
> policy battles, like the EFF.
>
> If you don't like the EFF, then Fight for the Future is another fine
> organization, http://fightforthefuture.org/.  If you don't like either of
> these, then directly calling your congressperson is a fine step too.

Thank you for your response.  For the record, I have faxed my
Representative and, for good measure, both my Senators.  Phone calls are
also great -- I just have more difficulty with them :-/ .  For those
that prefer an easier, but less personal and therefore (probably) less
effective method, I submit these links for contacting your Congress
critters:

http://fightforthefuture.org/pipa/
http://act.demandprogress.org/sign/pipa_house/

> We're going to keep working on making Tor better.

Thank you!

Jim

P.S.  A call-out to Nick Mathewson.  Thank you, also!  I hate to be the
bearer of bad news, but this seemed like it might be important.  I do
appreciate what all of you do at a technical level.  Unfortunately, we
have to be aware of politics also.