[tor-talk] Don't use Google as default search in Tor Browser?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Wed Nov 2 15:52:34 UTC 2011

On 11/1/2011 5:24 PM, Tim Wilde wrote:

> On 11/1/2011 4:11 PM, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
>> No, I didn't.  I told it * TO * redirect (which it did), I just
>> didn't click the "make it permanent" box.  By my thinking, the only
>> way that notice should NOT have appeared again, during same
>> session, is if I DID check the "make it permanent" box.  Then it
>> would automatically redirect each time.
>>
>> I told it to redirect once, w/o checking the make it permanent box.
>> The next search thru Google, no pop up asking to redirect or not.
> Were you presented with a captcha for this second query?  If not, I
> would expect that would be why the redirect code wouldn't have been
> triggered; the question and redirect are relevant for queries where a
> captcha is presented, not all searches.
>
> Regards,
> Tim
Thanks Tim - no, didn't see a captcha on 2nd, 3rd query.  Perhaps I
don't understand some of Google's "process" when they get search
requests coming from Tor network.  True, I don't know which exit node
was in use on subsequent queries (I repeated this > once).

Each of several times I typed searches from Aurora search bar, w/ GOOGLE
SELECTED as search engine (not from some site's search box), the 1st
time it always presented a captcha.  I clicked "redirect" - but not the
"make this permanent" box.

On subsequent searches in same session, w/ Google still selected as
search engine, it never presented a captcha / "do you want to redirect"
pop up.  Maybe ?? Aurora / TBB stores the choice from the 1st attempt &
assumes you want to redirect each time, after clicking it once (but if
so, be no need for the "make this permanent" box)?  Maybe a diff exit
node was in use & Google security didn't trigger a captcha screen?