[tor-talk] World IPv6 Day June 8th, torstatus.blutmagie.de w/o IPv4 for one day

Olaf Selke olaf.selke at blutmagie.de
Tue May 31 21:46:12 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

to support World IPv6 Day I intend to limit torstatus.blutmagie.de
connectivity to IPv6 on Wednesday next week. My plan is to remove the
IPv4 A record from dns for 24h, leaving the AAAA record behind. The
machine will keep its IPv4 address and the Apache web server remains
bound to the IPv4 interface. I think this will do the trick. People who
really rely on the Tor network status site might use their local hosts
file for IPv4 address resolving.

Missing IPv4 probably will break tons of bots accessing the php main
page, ip_list_exit.php, and ip_list_all.php from all kind of profit
organizations (companies), law enforcement, governments, and military
domains. I don't care about that.

torstatus.blutmagie.de is working v4/v6 dual stacked without any known
problems for six months. I'm aware that the site will be unreachable
from the Tor network as a collateral damage.

Are there any reasons this undertaking might be a bad idea?

regards Olaf

http://www.worldipv6day.org/

torstatus:~# dig @8.8.8.8 torstatus.blutmagie.de AAAA +short
2a02:3010:100:1::1:2483