[tor-talk] Logging in to Yahoo e-mail accounts now failing???

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Tue May 17 17:13:54 UTC 2011

On 5/14/2011 9:03 AM, David Carlson wrote:
> Yahoo seems to be changing their e-mail log in security features so that
> I now get a message that I have an incorrect user name/ password
> combination on a screen that has a captcha.  Trying again with the
> captcha also fails.  Turning off Tor with Torbutton (in Firefox 4.0.1)
> allows logging in to Yahoo.
>
> Interestingly, I have Thunderbird configured to access that same e-mail
> account through Foxyproxy accessing localhost:8118, which should be
> routing that traffic through Vidalia/Tor.  This still works.
>
> Is anyone else having issues?
> AT&T refuses to help me, of course, because they know nothing about Tor.
> Does anyone have a suggestion about what to try next?

1st, have you resolved the issue?  I use AT&T / Yahoo email (sometimes)
& just logged into it via Tor .  As w/ others' suggestions about logging
into some sites w/ Tor, may want to limit exit nodes, by editing
Vidalia's torrc file, to nodes in the SAME country where either / or:
1) their server (your acct) is located, 2) the same country as the IP
address' location, that you used to sign up for the acct.

I used the torrc command, ExitNodes {cc}, where "cc" is your country code,
followed by the "StrictExitNodes 1" command.

Had no problem logging into AT&T/Yahoo email - in MY country.  Have no
idea in how many  countries they offer service.

Sometimes an "incorrect PW" msg is assoc w/ not having cookies enabled
for the site.