[tor-talk] anonymous surveys via Tor?

kuhkatz kuhkatz at googlemail.com
Thu May 5 13:57:20 UTC 2011

Am 04.05.2011 20:56, schrieb katmagic:
> On Wed, 2011-05-04 at 02:39 -0600, Jim wrote:
>
>> kuhkatz wrote:
>>
>>> you could just put the survey on a .onion-site to ensure only tor-users
>>> can vote.
>>> maybe you would still consider blocking the tor2web-proxies.
>>>
>> In terms of of the Tor network, aren't tor2web proxies simply ordinary
>> clients?  How would you know the request cam via tor2web?  Am I am
>> missing something?
>>
>> Jim

> Tor2Web sends the X-Forwarded-For header which will contain the IP of
> the client that requested your site. Actual Tor users won't (shouldn't)
> send this header at all.

i just set up a .onion to test.
i get the X-FORWARDED-FOR-headers, yes.
the reported ip belongs to the university of stanford, which is
definetly neither the location of me, not my onionsite.

maybe this is the ip of the tor2web-site which was given me from their
roundrobin?
if thats true, it would allow blocking tor2web servers, but since its
not the ip of the user visiting the site that would not be necessary in
the first place.