[tor-talk] Why the US Government funds circumvention projects (Like Tor)

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Tue Mar 29 23:52:47 UTC 2011

<CLindsey at GarudaLLC.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I light of the recent discussions regarding governments funding projects
>> like Tor, I thought this article might be of interest.
>>

>> U.S. develops "panic button" for democracy activists
>>

>> Full article:
>> http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/25/us-rights-usa-technology-idUSTRE7206DH20110325
>>
> Now at
> http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2527265620110325

That's great.  At the same time many govts allow mobile providers to
track users, even by longitude / latitude.
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/NY-Times-Realizes-Wireless-Carriers-Track-You-113416
If mobile providers have the technology or are allowed to, so can govts.

I sleep better at night just knowing (any) govt has its (& other
countries') citizens' best interests at heart.  (little sarcasm).  A
govt's word is as good as gold - they've never lied (from beginning of
recorded history), have they?

I am a little concerned though, about the US violating the constitution
in numerous ways to spy on citizens in numerous ways.  (remember the
congressional hearings on telephone & internet?)  If you want to know
what (any) govt's up to, have to go elsewhere & dig deep for news &
insight, not depend on info from the govt(s), nightly news or
newspapers.  Don't ask the fox guarding the hen house how things are.
Something is only a conspiracy theory when no facts, evidence (or
sometimes even common sense about it) exist.