[tor-talk] tor using SSH

Jim Jimmymac at copper.net
Tue Mar 22 10:14:25 UTC 2011

egf at riskproof.no-ip.org wrote:
> I use <tor> on several systems here.  The firewall has "noticed"
> several instances where all these <tor> systems are initiating
> <ssh> traffic with external sites(1).  These occur during odd
> hours when there is nobody using these systems, thus there
> is some suspicion.  The firewall has since blocked this suspect
> outgoing traffic until they hear differently.  This doesn't seem
> to affect <tor> functionality.

I don't know if this is what you are talking about or not, but a while
back I noticed port 22 (the traditional SSH port) traffic I wasn't
expecting on one of my machines.  Checking tor's cached-descriptors file
I noticed one or more tor nodes was using port 22 as one of its ports (I
forget which one) and this was what I was observing.

HTH

Jim