[tor-talk] Iran cracks down on web dissident technology

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Mon Mar 21 12:59:08 UTC 2011

1st, thanks for the refresher, Paul.  I'll bet most users didn't know
Tor was started by the NRL.  Unfortunately, for many, that won't ease
their minds much.

I don't have the knowledge & skills to check Tor's source code & bet
well > 90% of users don't either.
I know (knew) my comments on Tor being funded (or started) by any Fed
organization would not be well received.  Neither were the handful of
people w/ inside knowledge after 9-11 attacks, shouting there was no
justification in attacking Iraq.  They were shouted down & quickly
labeled as unpatriotic.  Even today, surveys show a significant percent
of people still believe Iraq was responsible for 9-11 attacks.  "Don't
confuse me w/ facts - I've already made up my mind."

Again, WHY would Sam develop or fund technology that would make it
possible for * their enemies *  to communicate anonymously and
privately, possibly allowing them to plot against him, with ABSOLUTELY
no way to decipher that communication?

It's a serious question.  Please save the "check the source code
yourself" comments.  Open source code means literally nothing.  Did it
mean anything when Iraq cracked down on Tor users?  Researchers often
show that.  What makes this project different than other govt funded
projects?  (This seems like the, "It'll never happen here / to us"
mentality).

It * IS * happening to us in pretty much every aspect of citizens'
privacy.  That's no secret.  What makes Tor any different?   If one govt
can figure out how to identify Tor traffic, so can others.  Above ALL
else, govts NEVER reveal the full extent of their intelligence
capability.  That would be foolish.

I've never known Sam to get involved in, or fund something - especially
like this - * w/o wanting something in return.*  Ever.  WHETHER or not
they make known, to anyone, what they want or intend to do.  It's been
shown for over 50 - 60 yrs (probably much longer) that even people in
charge of entire govt projects (or govt funded ones), often don't know
the  *full* extent of what's being done w/ the research, technology,
info, etc.  If you want to ignore history, go ahead.