[tor-talk] Iran cracks down on web dissident technology

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Mon Mar 21 02:53:44 UTC 2011

On 3/20/2011 5:08 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/8388484/Iran-cracks-down-on-web-dissident-technology.html
>
> Iran cracks down on web dissident technology...
>
> ...  The value of “internet freedom” technologies to US
> foreign policy has not gone unnoticed in Washington: the Tor Project’s arms
> race with Iranian authorities is_funded in part by grants from both the
> Department of Defense and the State Department_.
You've GOT to be kidding.  Tell me that's a mistake.  Tor Project,
dedicated to privacy & anonymity, takes $ from DoD & Sam?  While the US
spies on it's citizens, unconstitutionally?  That's rich.
Honestly, this enlightenment will make me reconsider ever using Tor for
anything I don't want sent directly to DC.  It's like trusting car
magazines' reviews that get their advertising $ from car manufacturers.
There is no way the fed is going to give $ to any "privacy" organization
w/o wanting something (cough, back door) in return.  Every ISP has been
forced into violating users' privacy.  Why would Tor project, after
taking $ from Sam, be any different?  OK users, go ahead & stick your
head in the sand.

EVEN if it's not true, for me, Tor project has lost a good deal of its
credibility through its associations.  Of course, no government would
ever lie & neither would a company (AT&T, Ford, Google, R.J. Reynolds...).