[tor-talk] Error message when running a hidden service

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun Mar 13 00:27:22 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 03:13:48PM -0500, hikki at Safe-mail.net wrote:
> Sometimes I get this error message in the logs when I start my Tor program:
>
> "Error launching circuit to node xxx for service xxx"
>
> And it lists a huge amount of nodes down in the log file with my hidden service address in plain text.

It's in plain text in your logs because there isn't much point hiding
it from you -- the .onion address (and corresponding key) are already
written in a text file on your system.

> Has my hidden service address been revealed to these nodes

Probably not these nodes, since your Tor failed to establish an
introduction circuit to them. By 'introduction circuit', I mean picture
one in http://www.torproject.org/docs/hidden-services.html.en

>or anyone else?

You are probably telling your introduction points about your hidden
service, but that's how the design works (and you do it using a Tor
circuit). You're also telling the hidden service directory points about
your hidden service, but again that's how the design works (and again
it's over a Tor circuit).

My guess is that what's happening is Tor is trying to pick introduction
points, and establish circuits to them, before your Tor is quite
bootstrapped. Should be harmless.

--Roger