[tor-talk] New Tor paper: One Bad Apple Spoils the Bunch

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Fri Mar 11 19:24:19 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 10:59:11AM -0800, Chris Palmer wrote:
> http://hal.inria.fr/inria-00574178/en/

This looks like another iteration of the paper that I blogged about
from these authors last year:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/bittorrent-over-tor-isnt-good-idea
There was quite a bit of press about it then. The very short version
of the blog post is "that's one of the reasons you shouldn't be running
Bittorrent over Tor."

The series of papers coming from this research group has also caused me to
bump up the priority of "draft some guidelines for ethical Tor research"
in my todo list, based in part on conversations with Chris Soghoian et
al at WECSR last week:
http://www.cs.stevens.edu/~spock/wecsr2011/program.html

--Roger