[tor-talk] can't get tor to work :(

Sebastian Hahn mail at sebastianhahn.net
Wed Mar 9 00:40:02 UTC 2011

On Mar 8, 2011, at 10:22 PM, Scott Bennett wrote:
>     Thank you for the explanation, Roger.  I see that the bug must
> have
> been present in all of the versions of tor running that the
> authorities
> were running at the time, which suggests that the rule about having
> the
> authorities be spread across several versions at all times failed to
> be
> sufficient in the end to uphold the purpose of the rule.  Perhaps the
> timing of code propagation for new features that have yet to be fully
> tested needs to be rethought. For example, should IPv6 support have
> been
> eligible to appear in the "stable" versions of tor yet?

This code has been inside Tor since 2008, and propagated from
0.2.1.3-alpha to 0.2.1 and then into 0.2.2 (which the authorities are
running). I'm not sure where you read about a requirement for
dirauths to run different versions, if this ever existed it sure hasn't
been the case for at least a few years.

>      Does the bug affect directory mirrors as well?  In other words,
> if
> a new version of tor is implemented on some of the authorities that
> will
> correctly handle whatever exit policy was the problem, will the
> distribution
> of descriptors bearing that exit policy by the authorities to
> mirrors cause
> the mirrors to crash, too, if they are running today's versions of
> tor at
> the time if they don't have your patch applied?  How about ordinary
> non-exit
> relays?  Clients?

Non-authorities aren't affected by this bug.

Sebastian