[tor-talk] Best way to anonymize email while still be allowing to receive it?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Mon Jun 6 15:18:45 UTC 2011

On 6/4/2011 10:08 PM, 0 wrote:
> The goal is to hide my ip (I have dynamic) when sending and receiving
> email.
Hide your IP address from recipients or from your ISP?  Possibly if you
give some info about specifically why you want to hide your IP address
in email, someone could make suggestions based on your goals.  Are you
trying to hide your IP address, or communicate securely (not the same).
Latter can be achieved by many methods - some quite simple, like
encrypting a text doc & attaching to email, or using some email service
that uses encryption - like Hush Mail.

> Remailers wouldn't fit since they wouldn't allow to receive messages. In
> addition, I'd like to host a local mail server. I think tor could help,
> but would correspondents need to be use tor in order to email me?
on any internet communication that's private / secure, both parties (or
a user & a website) both need to use the same technology or "privacy
software," if both want to have same security / privacy.
I'm really not sure about the hiding IP address when using email over
Tor, (others more experienced should know), but if there is a need for
your correspondents to also hide their IP's, they'd also have to use
some service or software.  They wouldn't HAVE to use Tor, but if they
don't use something, their real address will be visible to email servers
/ ISPs.

>   How
> would this need to be configured. I use evolution, so I'd prefer to use
> it for this.
Check out Tor article
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TheOnionRouter/TorifyHOWTO/EMail.
It doesn't cover evolution, but would give some tips.  Check out section
on Thunderbird.