[tor-talk] unbound, ttdnsd and DNSPort config

Anders Sundman anders at 4zm.org
Mon Jun 6 14:24:12 UTC 2011

After trying to configure unbound and ttdnsd for transparent DNS
resolution through Tor, there are a couple of things I can't seem to get
working. Perhaps someone on the list can provide a hint?

I'm trying to set up unbound (running on 127.0.0.1:53) to use DNSPort
(127.0.0.1:8853) and then ttdnsd (127.0.0.2:53) as a fallback.

Here's a snip from the unbound.conf:

forward-zone:
 	name: "."
 	forward-addr: 127.0.0.1 at 8853
 	forward-addr: 127.0.0.2

Used individually, the addr directives work fine and resolve using their
respective mechanism. Used together, it looks like ttdnsd never gets a
chance after tor has failed (e.g. when resolving a SRV or MX record).

Any ideas?

// Anders