[tor-talk] detecting harmful relays

Jim jimmymac at copper.net
Thu Jun 2 03:35:15 UTC 2011

andrew at torproject.org wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 05:31:41AM +0000, kraktus at googlemail.com wrote 1.9K bytes in 45 lines about:
> : A few weeks ago, there was one that tried to give me a .bin file
> : whenever I tried to visit a non-SSL website, but I haven't had a
> : problem like that since. I always rejected the .bin file.
>
> I don't think this is a malicious relay, as I get these from time to
> time as well.  It only happens with firefox and only when going through
> really busy exit relays.  I think it's firefox misinterpreting a partial
> stream of data as a binary file.

I sometimes get a dialog "Firefox does not know how to handle a .php
file ... what do you want to do" (loose paraphrase).  I have always
scratched my head, killed the dialog and reloaded the page.  It usually
works on the second try;  sometimes it takes several tries.  Do you
think this could be the same thing?  It had never occurred to me this
could be related to Tor.

Jim