[tor-talk] Orweb v2 - now supports Android 2.x and 3.x

Nathan Freitas nathan at freitas.net
Thu Jul 28 13:52:14 UTC 2011

I mentioned this at the Tor Dev meeting, and now we have a build out.
The big news is that you can use this on any Android device without
root. Just install Orbot, connect to Tor, then install this, and you are
ready to browse like an onion.

The main issue we are concerned about tracking down is DNS leaks with
how we are proxying. We have to use HTTP/S proxy support for now, but it
does seem to be resolving names via Tor, since .onion addresses do work.
>From here, I'll be talking more with mikeperry about all of the possible
things we can do to further lockdown webkit, which is the basis for rweb.

You can grab the direct binary and sig from:
https://github.com/guardianproject/Orweb/downloads

********
Orweb v2 (0.2.1) - now supports Android 2.x and 3.x

Use with Orbot on any Android device without any complex configuration.
It just works right out of the box.. err, market! Also blocks flash and
optionally javascript, and other malicious downloads. Integrates
directly with DuckDuckGo.com's search hidden service for private,
anonymous searching.

updated market page:
https://market.android.com/details?id=info.guardianproject.browser&feature=search_result

Directly binary download:
https://github.com/guardianproject/Orweb/Orwebv2-280711-0.2.1.b.apk/qr_code

Source and project:
https://github.com/guardianproject/Orweb/tree/v0.2.1

Orweb is a privacy enhanced web browser that support proxies.
When used with the Orbot (Tor on Android) app, this web browser provides
enhanced privacy features. Through Tor, it prevents somebody watching
your Internet connection from learning what sites you visit, it prevents
the sites you visit from learning your physical location, and it lets
you access sites which are blocked. It also blocks cookies, keeps no
local history, disables Flash, and requires only Internet permissions,
keeping you safe from malicious content. Finally, beyond Tor, it can
support any HTTP proxy server.

What's in this version:
- added Android 2.x and 3.x support
- new localization / languages
- integrated DuckDuckGo.com search engine
- new icon!

/**
 *
 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 * modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
 * version 2 as published by the Free Software Foundation.
 *
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
 *
 * along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
 * Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA
02110-1301, USA
 */