[tor-talk] Downloading Firefox add-ons trough Tor. Safe?

7v5w7go9ub0o 7v5w7go9ub0o at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 12:56:54 UTC 2011

On 07/22/11 08:14, Achter Lieber wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: hikki at Safe-mail.net Sent:
> 07/10/11 08:55 PM To: tor-talk at lists.torproject.org Subject:
> [tor-talk] Downloading Firefox add-ons trough Tor. Safe?
>
> I'm having a laptop that is Tor only, so it never connects to the
> internet without going trough Tor. Someone wrote that malicious Tor
> exit nodes may modify your downloads. So when I need to install the
> recommended plug-ins for Firefox, like TorButton and NoScript, and I
> do that trough the Tor network, is that safe? Thanks for help! :)

Given the add-ons are updated via SSL, it is reasonably safe as long as
you check your certs for possible MIM attack using a "low integrity" CA.

Some folks will delete all of the authorities distributed with Firefox
and Thunderbird, and then add certs one at a time - validating each.
This is pretty easy with Thunderbird (only a few mail accounts); a PITA
for FF.

Another promising - not perfected for TB - way is using Certificate
Patrol. It will popup and warn you if the cert (e.g. for
https//addons.mozilla.org) has mysteriously changed.

<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/certificate-patrol/versions/>