Tor-BlackBelt Privacy

andrew at torproject.org andrew at torproject.org
Tue Jan 4 23:03:28 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 01:53:17PM +0100, tor-admin at privacyfoundation.de wrote 0.8K bytes in 25 lines about:
: I have done a small test. It seems, high performance nodes are prefered.
: The project page offers only a binary download.
: What do you think about the project. Is it serious?

It's been around for a few years, previously called "black belt tor" by
Cav Edwards.  We've had some interaction with Cav Edwards over the
years, but nothing substantial.

: Is the preference of high power nodes useful or does it have a bad
: influence on the load balancing of the tor network like the Cloakfish
: idea two years ago?

TCP stacks and crypto overhead may be overloading "high performance
nodes".  If you only need 1KB/s for a xmpp chat session, no need to
choose a high bandwidth relay when a lower performance one will do.

I haven't tested it, but I wonder if over time (days, weeks, months) the
performance usage profile of blackbeltprivacy is different than a stock
tor client.

--
Andrew
pgp key: 0x74ED336B