Is "gatereloaded" a Bad Exit?

andrew at torproject.org andrew at torproject.org
Sun Jan 30 02:24:23 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 09:55:05PM +0100, jan at buksy.de wrote 1.3K bytes in 38 lines about:
: What kind of scans do you perform? I thought these scans do only check
: for content manipulation? I dont see how to recognize if the traffic is
: recorded?

https://gitweb.torproject.org/torflow.git/tree/HEAD:/NetworkScanners/ExitAuthority
is the code.  You are correct in that we cannot detect recording of
traffic.

: Yeah, I'm not saying "this is evil!!!!", but want to bring it into
: discussion, because I was unable to get any reasonable explanation for
: this exitpolicy.
:
: Of course these ports are popular, but 443 is popular as well? So for me
: it looked like "pick all the popular _unencrypted_ ports".

I agree, it does look that way.  People can set "ExcludeExitNodes" for
gatereloaded in their torrc.

--
Andrew
pgp key: 0x74ED336B