Polipo starts on bootup

kuhkatz kuhkatz at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 19 13:48:08 UTC 2011

Am 19.01.2011 03:27, schrieb andre76 at fastmail.fm:
> I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 and have the Tor browser bundle installed.
>
> After Ubuntu boots up and I try to start Tor I find that Tor won't
> start.  I found that Polipo is running so I did a Pidof polipo and then
> a sudo kill xxxx (for the polipo process number).
>
> Is there any reason I should have Polipo on my machine at all and,
> secondly, is there any risk in Polipo starting at bootup?

AFAIK:
tor project patched the firefox included in TBB so it doesnt need polipo.
so, if you use the browser bundle, you dont need it,
but i am not aware of any dangers if it exists - it just dont get used.

> Should I just delete Polipo off my computer?

if you dont use it otherwise than for tor (and then its only needed if
you also installed tor, and not use the bundle) you should be ok with
deleting it.