Why my aptitude changes my tor package?

intrigeri intrigeri at boum.org
Tue Jan 18 11:39:27 UTC 2011

Hi,

James Brown wrote (18 Jan 2011 07:22:38 GMT) :
> Somedays ago my aptitude authomatically installed the new Tor version
> '0.2.1.29-1~~lenny+1' from http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org
> Today it have replaced it to such version 'http://security.debian.org'
> Why? Is it normal?

Thanks to the use of the tilde (~), the deb.torproject.org's packages
versioning pattern ensure a given UPSTREAM_VERSION-PACKAGING_VERSION
package in Debian is considered newer than the "same" package from
deb.torproject.org (see --compare-versions in dpkg's manpage if
curious).

In the current situation:

      0.2.1.29-1~lenny+1      >     0.2.1.29-1~~lenny+1
  (from security.debian.org)     (from deb.torproject.org)

Your APT sources setup + this versioning pattern => APT prefers Tor
from deb.torproject.org unless the same version is also part of the
regular Debian archive.

This sounds sane to me: minimally diverge from Debian, while ensuring
you get new releases in a timely manner.

Bye,
--
  intrigeri <intrigeri at boum.org>