How to use Google Gadgets with Tor? - Is this possible?

Mike Perry mikeperry at fscked.org
Sat Jan 15 19:02:00 UTC 2011

Thus spake Matthew (pumpkin at cotse.net):

> To cut a long story short after having removed TorButton, NoScript, and
> HTTPS-Everywhere and therefore leaving just Tor I still cannot get Twitter
> to work from Gmail.  I am using Firefox.
>
> The Twitter icon and drop-down box partially loads (but not as normal when
> I am not using Tor).  Clicking on it appears to load some Twitter functions
> e.g. "transfering data from twittergadget.appspot.com" but Twitter does not
> load.  Eventually all loading messages just stop and the screen stays as
> Gmail.

I've noticed that some mashup services mysteriously break when Google
decides to give them/you a captcha. This could be happening to you. You
could try to solve a google captcha by issuing some queries and/or
using Google maps first, to see if this makes any difference. Usually
once you have the cookies for a session that solves a captcha, Google
does not make you solve another.

You could also install an addon to observe the requests your browser
uses in both non-Tor and Tor accesses of this gadget to see if the
requests appear different for some reason. That may help diagnose the
cause:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/live-http-headers/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tamper-data/

--