How to use Google Gadgets with Tor? - Is this possible?

Matthew pumpkin at cotse.net
Sat Jan 15 13:13:11 UTC 2011

  This post is similar to the problems people have been having with cookies
and Gmail when using TorButton.

In this case within Gmail I enabled "add any gadget by URL" and then added
Twitter (https://twittergadget.appspot.com/gadget-gmail.xml).
Without Tor when I click on the Twitter icon the Twitter feed appears in
place of whatever Gmail folder I was currently browsing.  (This happens
once I have logged in to Twitter for the first time and therefore connected
the accounts).

To cut a long story short after having removed TorButton, NoScript, and
HTTPS-Everywhere and therefore leaving just Tor I still cannot get Twitter
to work from Gmail.  I am using Firefox.

The Twitter icon and drop-down box partially loads (but not as normal when
I am not using Tor).  Clicking on it appears to load some Twitter functions
e.g. "transfering data from twittergadget.appspot.com" but Twitter does not
load.  Eventually all loading messages just stop and the screen stays as Gmail.

The only about:config entry about Twitter is
extensions.https_everywhere.Twitter which is presumably irrelevant if I
have removed HTTPS-Everywhere.

Can anyone suggest what modifications are needed to achieve a workaround or
if what I am trying to do is not viable.

Thanks.