System time in anonymity oriented LiveCDs

Jim Jimmymac at copper.net
Tue Jan 4 12:24:42 UTC 2011

Jim wrote:

> Thomas.Hluchnik at netcologne.de wrote:
>> Without understanding details of the tor design, did you mention that
>> tor knows the "real" time? So why dont you let tor set the right
>> time. There could be a torrc setting like "when connecting to tor
>> set system time according what tor says". This would enforce to
>> run tor as root, not as unprivileged user, but this is a Live
>> system, so this might be no problem(?).
>>
>> Would this be a nice tor extension to help the LiveCD users?
>
> Presumably some people will be running live CDs (or USBs) on systems
> where they don't have the necessary privilege to set the system time.
> To address these situations, what might be more useful is to be able to
> tell Tor to offset the system clock by a given amount to get the "real
> time".  Possbily in connection with this there could be a setting which
> would cause Tor to automically determine this offset at initialization.

Oops.  Sorry about responding to my own post, but I just realized that
the lack of permission problem I mentioned would pertain to running
something like a Tor bundle from a USB stick on a public computer rather
  than a running a Live CD/USB.  But I still think my proposal might be
useful for that situation.

Jim