IP WHOIS Reassignment (was: Re: "cease and desist" from my vps provider...)

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Fri Feb 4 15:55:12 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 04.02.2011 16:38, Jordi Espasa Clofent wrote:
>> If you got your own IP space with own ripe contact, all the abuse mails
>> will go to you, so it does not cause trouble to them at all. Maybe this
>> is what is meant with "you are responsible".
> Mmmmm.... sorry but ¿do you know exactly what you´re talking about?
> To get your own IP space isn't a trivial process, nor cheap. Use the
> next link as a starting point to know something about:
> http://ripe.net/membership/new-members/index.html
> You shouldn't confuss the people. Get your own IP space it's only
> possible for enterprises and even if you´re an enterprise you need a
> complex network engineering behind you.

You can get the PA subnet reallocated to you as a customer of a LIR
without additional cost.

Examples:
ARIN: http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-74-120-15-144-1/pft
RIPE: http://www.db.ripe.net/whois?searchtext=79.140.39.227

For ARIN, you have to convince your ISP to submit a reallocation
request. The process can be eased as follows: Go to arin.net, create
your own POC records and ORG ID. I have attached a template I used to
get an IP range reassigned to my OrgID TORSE and attach handle
TAD54-ARIN for abuse and TORSE-ARIN for tech.

All the ISP has to do is fill out points 20 to 23 with info about the
subnet, copy and paste the text-based template into the body of an
e-mail and send to hostmaster at arin.net with the subject line "REASSIGN
DETAILED".
The original form including more comments is at
https://www.arin.net/resources/templates/reassign-detailed.txt

I am not sure how it works for RIPE, but as you can see from the example
above, it can be done.

--
Moritz Bartl
http://www.torservers.net/