IP address blocked on certain site

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Fri Feb 4 14:59:58 UTC 2011

On 2/3/2011 10:23 PM, Robert Ransom wrote:
>> On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 22:21:34 -0500

>>> In a roundabout way, yes. Torbutton forwards Firefox traffic to Polipo,
>>> which in turn sends the traffic to the SOCKS port of Tor. Disabling
>>> Torbutton and entering the Tor SOCKS information into Firefox's network
>>> configuration would skip the Polipo part, and eliminate any problems
>>> you
>>> might be having with some hidden Polipo cache.
>> Turning off 'Use Polipo' in the Torbutton Preferences dialog would be
>> easier and much safer.
>>

>> Robert Ransom
>
> Do this. I haven't used Tor as a client in months, I'd completely
> forgotten this was an option. My bad.
>
> ~Justin Aplin

Thanks.  I can see turning off Polipo as a test, but IF it turns out to
be the problem, wouldn't that warrant opening a bug ticket?  After all,
it really shouldn't be sending addresses no longer valid (or allowing
sites to access the old info) - yes?  I'd rather not have to stop using
Polipo completely.  It has a lot of useful functions.

I'm not aware of "hidden" cache in Polipo - others may know more -
please chime in.  Given it's only happened on one site (this was a free,
completely open site), maybe it's a fluke.  I really thought others
would've seen a lot of same problem.  Apparently not.  I'll try to
recreate problem & make notes as go thru ea step of trying to clear
caches, closing apps / processes, etc.