Excluding exit nodes

tagnaq tagnaq at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 14:51:56 UTC 2011

On 02/13/2011 03:43 PM, Tomasz Moskal wrote:
> Now, it's a little bit confusing for a novice, let me explain why.
> People both on this mailing list and else where on the Internet are
> often referring to excluding "bad/evil" exit nodes (I'm aware that it's
> a bit ambiguous concept) and yet there is this entry in Tor Project FAQ.

The config directive ChooseEntryExit should not be confused with
ExcludeExitNodes.

> So how someone like me, a newcomer to Tor, Linux and networking, should
> know which exit nodes are suspicious? I came across this website
> <http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/index.php> which flags couple of nodes as
> "Bad Exit" - should I exclude them?

No you do not need to exclude them because your client will not use
nodes with the BadExit flag as an exit node anyway. The torstatus
website does not flag them, it just shows you that they have this flag
because the DirectoryAuthorities flagged these nodes as badexits.