advice on using accounting...

Joseph Lorenzo Hall joehall at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 23:19:27 UTC 2011

Hi onion peeps,

I run a no-exit relay that can sustain about a hundred KB/s but I need
to limit to about 4 GB/day to stay under bandwidth caps. I have
accounting set up but what happens now is that it blows through that
in 12 hours and then hibernates until the next day. However, because
server descriptors aren't accepted into the consensus if they're not
much different from the last one, at some point during hibernation my
node appears to go down (presumably until it starts relaying again and
publishes a significantly different descriptor).

Is that the trade-off nodes that do bandwidth accounting have to make?
That is, appear down due to the consensus refresh parameter of 12
hours? Are nodes that hibernate daily by definition not stable? (and
in torstatus and torweather appear down for a large chunk of the day?)

best, Joe

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
ACCURATE Postdoctoral Research Associate