Design Change Causing More Traffic?

Mike Perry mikeperry at fscked.org
Thu Feb 10 00:07:39 UTC 2011

Thus spake Jim (jimmymac at copper.net):

> I am on dialup and so I am very sensitive to the amount of traffic
> overhead in the operation of Tor.  Lately that seems to have increased
> significantly.  Assuming I am not just imagining it (I have no objective
> measurements to back this up) is this just because of the build-out of
> the network or has then there been a design change that would cause this?

I've just realized that this could be more people adopting the Reduced
Exit Policy, which takes up a ton more space in the Tor router
directory than does the Default Exit Policy:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TheOnionRouter/ReducedExitPolicy

I bet Karsten could tell us for sure, using the descriptor archive
set.

We need to standardize a more succinct way to represent this policy,
once we converge on a set of ports that we like for it. Either that,
or create a way to represent the policy in the consensus just once,
and have nodes declare their conformity to that policy by only
specifying the token for it from the consensus...

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist