[tor-talk] Advice for high throughput Tor node

Mitar mmitar at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 02:21:14 UTC 2011

Hi!

We are planning a high throughput Tor node, we are hoping for 1 Gbit/s
node. But as I read there are some issues attaining that. So I would
like some suggestions what should we use for hardware and
configuration to attain it. So CPU, ethernet card, etc. As I
understood it is necessary to run multiple Tor instances, but that
then ethernet card's IRQ affinity is still problematic? Would it be
better to have multiple ethernet cards? How much CPU is needed for 1
Gbit/s throughput? RAM?

And it is probably also necessary to have multiple IPs to be able to
have more than 65k connections?

The problem is that we will probably not be able to experiment much,
what we will buy we will have. So I am hoping to get it right.

We are targeting a fully open exit node policy so some advice on how
to arrange things with ISP would also be good. We have good experience
with one local ISP, but not on this scale. So probably it would be
good to request a SWIP and abuse handle to our e-mail? Anything else?
Is there any software developed which would handle automatic abuse
e-mails with automatic replies?

I am sorry if all this is already somewhere written. ;-)

(And all this is still just in a planning stage, we will have to see
if the budget will support it.)

Mitar