[tor-talk] Turning off all logging - how?

Aplin, Justin M jmaplin at ufl.edu
Wed Feb 23 21:32:23 UTC 2011

On 2/23/2011 3:46 PM, Matthew wrote:
> How can I turn off all logging in .torrc?  Currently I have logfiles
> in /var/log/tor.
>
> All logging entries in .torrc are hashed but, as mentioned, I still
> have logs.

I'm not sure if this is supported by default (please correct me if I'm
wrong), but it should be fairly easy to hack. I'd add the following line
to your torrc:

Log err file /dev/null

which would produce the minimum amount of output (fatal errors only),
all of which would be immediately discarded. I'd also add --quiet to
whatever command you have starting Tor, which will suppress the console
messages that are produced before the torrc is parsed.

~Justin Aplin