[tor-talk] Automatic vulnerability scanning of Tor Network?

andrew at torproject.org andrew at torproject.org
Fri Dec 30 21:55:07 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 04:50:57AM +0000, case at SDF.ORG wrote 1.4K bytes in 38 lines about:
: Either way your name is not attached to it, and your home address,
: etc., isn't either.

It's trivial for law enforcement to make the one hop from your company
to you and then to your house. Stupid criminals use a front company all
the time. While this may provide some legal protection after you're
raided and talking to a lawyer, you still get the swat team if your
local police are prone to overreaction.

: The list may not appreciate my criticism, but the reality is we get
: about one post every six months from someone who literally has their
: door kicked in and their property stolen by the state.

So what? Just because there are overzealous police forces doesn't
mean running a Tor relay isn't legal and not your right to use the
banwidth for which you pay monthly. The vast majority of people
will never experience the exception to the rule; the SWAT team at 5
AM. https://blog.torproject.org/blog/five-years-exit-node-operator is
my experience. This is still the case four years later.

One raided relay out of 3000 relays every six months is a fantastic
ratio. I wish it were zero, but running Tor is not illegal, nor
is relaying traffic for others. The vast majority of Tor traffic is
benign, normal traffic from people who need Tor. I'm going to trust the
probability that says I'm very unlikely to get raided for a Tor exit
node at home.

We also have the start of a legal directory for relay operators,
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/start-tor-legal-support-directory. At
the worst, call me, I'll try to help. I've helped many over the past
few years, some of them as the police were in the house asking
questions. I'm not a lawyer, but I'll try to help you find one, if needed.

--
Andrew
http://tpo.is/contact