[tor-talk] browser with best privacy without using the Tornetwork

stars stars at hispeed.ch
Tue Dec 27 19:05:10 UTC 2011

Le Sat, 24 Dec 2011 13:05:41 +0100,
Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> a écrit :

> On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 06:29:36AM -0500, hmoh at Safe-mail.net wrote:
> > > For various reasons it sounds like there is a lot of demand for
> > > separating Tor from the TBB.
> >
> > You mean separating Tor Browser from The Tor Browser Bundle (TBB)?
> >
> > Reasons I see here:
> > - using Tor as a transparent proxy
> > - wanting a browser with best privacy settings but without using
> > the Tor network
>
> Can anyone using a particular hardened browser post their
> panopticlick data?
>
> Below are mine. This is Tails 0.9 on VirtualBox on Windows.
>
> http://panopticlick.eff.org
>
> Within our dataset of several million visitors, only one in 211,072
> browsers have the same fingerprint as yours.
>
> Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that
> conveys 17.69 bits of identifying information.
>
> The measurements we used to obtain this result are listed below. You
> can read more about our methodology, statistical results, and some
> defenses against fingerprinting in this article.
>
> Help us increase our sample size: Email This Digg This Post this to
> Reddit Share Panopticlick with delicious Share this on Facebook Tweet
> Panopticlick Dent Panopticlick Browser Characteristic 	bits of
> identifying information 	one in x browsers have this value
> 	value User Agent 7.15
> 141.82
> 	Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101
> Firefox/5.0 HTTP_ACCEPT Headers
> 2.67
>
> 6.36
> 	text/html, */* ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7 gzip,deflate
> en-us,en;q=0.5 Browser Plugin Details
> 5.23
>
> 37.48
> 	undefined
> Time Zone
> 4.65
>
> 25.05
> 	0
> Screen Size and Color Depth
> 12.03
>
> 4184.25
> 	1000x800x24
> System Fonts
> 3.39
>
> 10.5
> 	No Flash or Java fonts detected
> Are Cookies Enabled?
> 0.39
>
> 1.31
> 	Yes
> Limited supercookie test
> 3.06
>
> 8.34
> 	DOM localStorage: No, DOM sessionStorage: No, IE userData: No

Hi,

Here are my stats :

Firefox 9.0.1 64 bits Kubuntu LTS 64 bits using
direct socks5 instead of a proxy like Privoxy and "JonDoFox 2.6.0" with
Tor profile:

Within our dataset of several million visitors, only one in 6,772
browsers have the same fingerprint as yours.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys
12.73 bits of identifying information.

Browser Characteristic 	bits of identifying information
one in x browsers have this value 	value User Agent
7.12

138.69
	Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
HTTP_ACCEPT Headers
9.45

697.34
	text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
gzip, deflate en-us,en;q=0.5 Browser Plugin Details
5.22

37.37
	undefined
Time Zone
4.64

24.98
	0
Screen Size and Color Depth
4.78

27.54
	1920x1200x24
System Fonts
3.39

10.48
	No Flash or Java fonts detected
Are Cookies Enabled?
2.1

4.29
	No
Limited supercookie test
3.06

8.34
	DOM localStorage: No, DOM sessionStorage: No, IE userData: No

Attribute	Value	Rating
Cookies

Authentication

	protected

	good
Cache (E-Tags)

	protected 	good
HTTP session

	10 minutes (until your Tor identity is changed) 	medium

Referer

	hidden (changed when switching the website) 	good
Signature
	8ab3a24c55ad99f4e3a6e5c03cad9446 (Firefox)

	medium

User-Agent
	Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
	good
Language
	en-us,en;q=0.5 	good
Charset

Content types
	text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
	good
Encoding
	gzip, deflate 	good
Do-Not-Track
	protected 	good
JavaScript
	JavaScript is currently turned off.

	good
Browser window
	1800 x 950 pixels (inner size)

	good
Fonts
	Do you see strange symbols here? If yes, your fonts are
	readable!
good

Browser history 		good

I must say that it look pretty good with this config , only the
signature are not like Torbutton, here are the stats with Torbutton
1.4.5.1:

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys
17.86 bits of identifying information.

The measurements we used to obtain this result are listed below. You
can read more about our methodology, statistical results, and some
defenses against fingerprinting in this article.Within our dataset of
several million visitors, only one in 23,208 browsers have the same
fingerprint as yours.

Cookies

Authentication

Cache (E-Tags)

	Your unique ID:

	bad
HTTP session

	10 minutes (until your Tor identity is changed) 	medium

Referer

	Original: Websites may see from which other website you come
	from!

	medium

Signature
	6cdaf3eb6e5bb154d497228c2197c715 (Firefox)

	good

User-Agent
	Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
	good Language
	en-us,en;q=0.5 	good
Charset
	ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7 	good
Content types
	text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
	good Encoding
	gzip, deflate 	good
Do-Not-Track
	protected 	good
JavaScript
	JavaScript is currently turned off.

	good
Browser window
	1800 x 1000 pixels (inner size)

	medium
Fonts
	Do you see strange symbols here? If yes, your fonts are
	readable! good

Browser history 		good

Torbutton with "cookies Monster" :

Within our dataset of several million visitors, only one in 22,655
browsers have the same fingerprint as yours.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys
14.47 bits of identifying information.

[...]

	1800 x 1019 pixels (inner size)

	medium
Fonts
	Do you see strange symbols here? If yes, your fonts are
	readable! good

Browser history 		good

Like you can see, with cookie monster we can have a lower fingerprint
stats.

Best Regards