[tor-talk] "If you have access to certain tools, you can completely ignore Tor."

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Sun Dec 25 17:57:50 UTC 2011

On 12/24/2011 4:09 AM, grarpamp wrote:
>>> No Backdoors. No bugdoors. No so-called "lawful interception" systems.
> Court orders and duress can be applied to anyone who is
> reachable by them. The only real solution should that happen
> is to take things underground on Tor, or any other strong net,
> and remain open source therein. It is unfortunate in this
> regard that the current systems employ known authors.
> But new unknowns will step in place of the old if need be.
Good point.  I think you're right.  They may have to go WAY
underground.  Everyone knows several countries have already outlawed Tor
& other internet uses / sites.

Julian Assange was way to visible to carry out his mission, whether one
agrees w/ his agenda or not.  If gov'ts can't stop persons /
organizations they deem embarrassing or threats because of free speech
rights, they'll invent other charges against them.

Again, I just can't see many gov'ts leaving Tor alone, when
(unfortunately) it * presumably *allows "combatant enemies" to easily
communicate anonymously.  Democratic nations may not ban it, but they
have to protect their national security & they won't sit idly by while
terrorist groups thumb their noses at security agencies.  It's
unfortunate that the use of Tor for true, non-violent free speech &
access to info & it's use for more sinister purposes get mixed together.

It was once unthinkable that US & other free countries would listen in
on potentially all citizens' conversations or read private mail
(electronic or paper) w/o court warrants, but it's here & so far, people
pretty much accept it.