[tor-talk] browser with best privacy without using the Tornetwork

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Dec 24 12:05:41 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 06:29:36AM -0500, hmoh at Safe-mail.net wrote:
> > For various reasons it sounds like there is a lot of demand for separating
> > Tor from the TBB.
>
> You mean separating Tor Browser from The Tor Browser Bundle (TBB)?
>
> Reasons I see here:
> - using Tor as a transparent proxy
> - wanting a browser with best privacy settings but without using the Tor network

Can anyone using a particular hardened browser post their panopticlick data?

Below are mine. This is Tails 0.9 on VirtualBox on Windows.

http://panopticlick.eff.org

Within our dataset of several million visitors, only one in 211,072 browsers have the same fingerprint as yours.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys 17.69 bits of identifying information.

The measurements we used to obtain this result are listed below. You can read more about our methodology, statistical results, and some defenses against fingerprinting in this article.

Help us increase our sample size: Email This Digg This Post this to Reddit Share Panopticlick with delicious Share this on Facebook Tweet Panopticlick Dent Panopticlick
Browser Characteristic 	bits of identifying information 	one in x browsers have this value 	value
User Agent
7.15

141.82
	Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
HTTP_ACCEPT Headers
2.67

6.36
	text/html, */* ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7 gzip,deflate en-us,en;q=0.5
Browser Plugin Details
5.23

37.48
	undefined
Time Zone
4.65

25.05
	0
Screen Size and Color Depth
12.03

4184.25
	1000x800x24
System Fonts
3.39

10.5
	No Flash or Java fonts detected
Are Cookies Enabled?
0.39

1.31
	Yes
Limited supercookie test
3.06

8.34
	DOM localStorage: No, DOM sessionStorage: No, IE userData: No