[tor-talk] janusvm still safe?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Dec 22 07:29:33 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 05:14:17PM -0500, Chris wrote:
> Tails won't or should not be run in a VM. It actively detects VMs and

There are excellent reasons to run it in a VM, because it prevents
the leaks by forcing all traffic through one interface.
It is very convenient, while rebooting systems or having
dedicated systems with no clipboard access is not.
I predict Tails run as VM will be far often than on
bare iron.

Security and usability are inversely related. Unusable
systems don't get used.

> warns the user. I forget if it actually won't run or it just warns the
> user.

It warns the user, which is the right thing to do -- your host
might be compromised without you knowing.