[tor-talk] Automatic vulnerability scanning of Tor Network?

Chris tmail299 at errtech.com
Wed Dec 21 22:09:37 UTC 2011

>> So please, don't bother with that justification, a scan like that would
>> probably just be one scan of 10000 you receive every week.
>
> The scan which happened yesterday was enough to get the attention of both
> the
> university network security team, and the sys-admins of the department
> which
> hosts my Tor server. The last time this happened was 2009.
>
> It's already difficult enough to host a Tor server, but triggering
> institutional
> IDS is only going to make justifying the benefit of running a node harder.

This is a dumb policy although that being said if this is going to have a
significant negative impact on the Tor network from a bandwidth or
security (loss of nodes could impact security too) then what about having
the Tor software do a check on the system? This would bypass the network
and avoid intrusion detection systems in place on the network. I imagine
anyway.