[tor-talk] Reminder: please use trac.torproject.org for bug reports

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Tue Dec 20 19:10:59 UTC 2011

Hi, all!

Please take this message as a friendly reminder that we would really
prefer that bugs be reported on the bugtracker at trac.torproject.org.

The main advantage of doing this is that once a bug is on the
bugtracker, it can't go away until somebody closes it; and if it gets
closed in error, it can get reopened.  Also, bugs on the bugtracker
can get assigned to milestones, so we can treat them as a checklist of
things that need to get dealt with before a certain release can come
out.

Bugs reported on a mailing list, however, can get forgotten about.
There are folks -- me included -- who try to remember to paste things
onto the bugtracker when I see them reported elsewhere, but that's
just one more thing for developers to spend time on, and sometimes we
miss them.

I'm not writing this to disclaim responsibility for getting stuff
fixed when it gets posted here, mentioned on IRC, tweeted, written in
personal email, scribbled in a bathroom stall where you expect a
developer to eventually visit,  or whatever!  If that's the only way
that you can report a bug, then thanks for reporting it: I would
rather have the bug report than not, and I am grateful for all the
help I can get! But before you do, please consider making a
developer's job easier, and posting bugs to the bugtracker.

Many thanks for your indulgence, and thanks for using Tor!

seasons' greetings,
--
Nick Mathewson