[tor-talk] TorTV - just the WDTV for now...

Jaromil jaromil at dyne.org
Thu Dec 15 20:51:04 UTC 2011

re all,

Some weeks ago I was visiting Naif in Milano and saw he also had a
WDTV so we ended up talking about it, since I'm also a WDLXTV app dev
he encouraged me to make something like this now. So here we are.

I've built and packaged Tor to run on WDTV devices, which are pretty
popular Internet TV solid state appliances found on the consumer
market for less than 100$ - also many art musea use them in storage
and use them often for exhibitions ...

This project is called TorTV http://dyne.org/software/tortv

WDTV is a decent MIPS box with an amazing community behind it,
especially thanks to B-Rad's WDLXTV firmware http://www.wdlxtv.com

I'm looking for more TV appliances to hack and curious which platforms
you know of, here I've also submitted a post on Slashdot asking people
about it, since I know well only the WDTV, I'd rather invest time into
devices known to run well cross-platform apps and having an easy way
to deploy them
http://slashdot.org/firehose.pl?op=view&type=submission&id=1881722

At last, I used to run a pretty fast Tor server in Europe back in 2006
its handle was Streamtime, for a project focusing on Iraqi bloggers
http://streamtime.org until it was taken down for a bust on pedofilia,
the project itself was way more active back then. So here I'm back
with a more resilient approach, consider it another humble
contribution to Tor which I'm well intentioned to maintain :^)

hack on!
ciao

--
jaromil,  dyne.org developer,  http://jaromil.dyne.org
GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F 5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39